Sunday, September 23, 2007

"Ask yourself, do you feel safer? Well do you, punk?"

While discussing concealed carry, a friend asked me, "So do you feel safer?"

This got me thinking about safety again.

For those of us with families, safety is a topic that merits a fair amount of consideration. Not that you single folks are off the hook, but I found becoming a parent magnified my interest in issues of safety and security.

Personally, I try to make a distinction between actual safety, and the perception of safety. Safety's dark mirror is danger, actual danger and the perception thereof. People sometimes make much ado about safe neighborhoods, safe schools, even safe cars (hats off to Volvo for one of the most successful and pervasive automotive marketing campaigns to date). My point here is these concepts speak more to perception of safety, rather than actual safety. Crime happens wherever you have people, from big cities to small towns, from rich suberbs to downtown tenements. I'm not denying that population density and socioeconomic level effect crime rates; I'm simply pointing out that criminals are people, people are mobile, and are therefore going to commit crime wherever the plum opportunity exists. Safe schools? Don't make me laugh. The idea of a safe school is a simple extension of the safe neighborhood concept. Safe cars are driven by safe drivers. I'll take a ride with a conscientious, defensive driver in a VW Beetle (an old one) before a ride with a hot-headed, self-important road-rager in a Volvo XC90 any day of the week.

This brings me to preparation.
We've all heard one variation or another on the "6 Ps".
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

This is why families make disaster plans, put together go-bags, and utilize alarm systems on homes.

It's better to have all of these things and not need them, than need them and not have them. It's not about feeling safer. It's about taking steps in preparation against the presence of danger. We can't predict where or when disaster will strike so, we prepare, we plan and we train.

And this is why CHL/CCW holders carry concealed.

1 comment:

aweesan said...

Did you get yours yet? Or do you have the more renegade "out in the open" show us what you've got ideal where it's sitting in your holster in plain view?

To address concealed vs. plain view, I think I'd feel better with it being concealed to prevent those thinking they had an opportunity to use it on me from having those thoughts (out of sight, out of mind). Having [the weapon on your person] just serves as a constant reminder that there is more of a possibility of having to use it, rather than to remind you that you can enjoy the quality of your life and activities more readily.

I do agree to be more keenly aware of surroundings, and keeping common safety sense in mind when traveling alone (with a friend if I can help it), having the necessary preparedness packs, etc.. as more proactive personal safety requirements.

Good food for thought, B :)